- About Us
- Our Sustainability Strategy
Our Sustainability Strategy
At Northfield School and Sports College, we have been taking action to reduce our carbon footprint with the aim of becoming Net Zero by 2030.
The UK Parliament declared a climate emergency in 2019 which means we must work together to make positive changes to build a better future. We want to deliver long-term change to provide a more sustainable school for the next generations and have been working closely with pupils to create ambitious yet realistic goals.
Our aim is to:
EDUCATE pupils, staff, parents and carers and our local community so that we all have the knowledge, skills, and resources to work together to create a better future inside and outside of school.
EVALUATE the impact of our actions and actively look for ways to reduce the negative consequences on our environment.
EMPOWER pupils and staff to make better choices by providing more sustainable alternatives.
ENCOURAGE all members of our school community to get involved in various projects to help achieve our goals.
We plan on doing this by:
- Increasing an understanding of the climate emergency and the benefits that carbon reduction will have on our environment.
- Developing an ethos of sustainability across Northfield.
- Providing information on energy and resource usage and how we can all make better choices.
- Delivering workshops on upcycling and grow-your-own herbs, fruits and vegetables.
- Measuring the results of sustainability campaigns against 2022-2023 baseline figures.
- Planning to improve operational energy efficiency such as gas, water, and electricity.
- Monitoring engagement with pupils, staff, parents and carers, and our local community.
- Exploring renewable energy options.
- Reducing the amount of waste we produce at school.
- Significantly reducing single-use plastics in our cafeterias.
- Encouraging all members of our school community to recycle as much as possible in school and at home.
- Utilising support from organisations and campaigns such as Let's Go Net Zero.
- Providing eco-friendly alternatives where possible.
- Providing all Year 7 pupils with reusable water bottles to encourage a reduction of single-use plastics.
- Ensuring sustainability is a factor when procuring goods (cheaper is not always the best option!).
- Requesting more pupils to join our Northfield Sustainability Club.
- Inviting parents, carers and our local community to get involved in projects.
- Facilitating pupils to get involved in our annual tree-planting.
- Promoting the recycling of clothes such as uniforms, coats and prom outfits.
- Supporting pupils with walking and cycling to school.
If you have ideas on how we can reduce our carbon footprint, email firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd love to hear from you!