- Curriculum Overview
- Numeracy at Northfield
Numeracy at Northfield
What do we mean by numeracy?
Numeracy means understanding how maths is used in the real world and being able to apply it to make the best possible decisions. At Northfield, we believe it’s as much about thinking and reasoning as about “doing sums”.
It means being able to;
- Interpret data, charts and diagrams
- Process information
- Solve problems
- Check answers
- Understand and explain solutions
- Make decisions based on logical thinking and reasoning
Implementation of numeracy
- In Years 7, 8 and 9 pupils take part in weekly morning form time activities which address maths in the real world. These activities support the curriculum in maths and link to other curriculum areas.
- Across the school, pupils will link numeracy to different subject areas when it is appropriate and this is made explicit through our curriculum connections strategy.
- Numeracy is promoted during the year through Pi Day and Maths Day. Activities will take place across the school and all pupils are encouraged to participate, strengthening the importance of numeracy in life.
Numeracy for all…
National Numeracy Challenge is a free online resource to help anyone improve their maths skills and, more importantly, confidence in maths.