- Curriculum Overview
- Accelerated Reader Programme
Accelerated Reader Programme
Accelerated Reader is a nationally recognised reading initiative that focuses on improving reading ages for Primary and Secondary pupils.
At Northfield School all Year 7 and Year 8 pupils participate in the programme, together with some KS4 pupils.
How does Accelerated Reader work?
- Pupils are assessed 4 times a year using Star Test, this gives their Reading Age at each point and from this we monitor their development.
- The data from the test ascertains what level of book the student should be reading, and they are given a bespoke reading range called the ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development – see the ‘A Parents’ Guide to Accelerated Reader’ document below for more details).
- Using their ZPD we help each pupil choose books; fiction or non-fiction which are most suitable for them.
- Having read their chosen book, pupils are expected to quiz at least once a fortnight and achieve 85-95% - this shows they have fully understood the book but that it has the right level of challenge.
How often should students read?
Each pupil is expected to read for at least 20 minutes per day, 5 times a week, In school, pupils have the opportunity to read and quiz twice a week in Morning Form Time and once a week for 30 minutes in lesson time (the lesson period changes each week).
Why is reading important?
G.C.S.E. examinations have become more rigorous and demanding in recent years, particularly in relation to the wording and ‘readability’ of the questions. This is the case regardless of the subject; from Biology to History to D&T. The Accelerated Reader programme develops your child’s reading age and ability to access a range of G.C.S.E. papers, boosting their confidence and chances of success.
Celebrating pupil achievement in Accelerated Reader
As pupils progress through the programme they are awarded certificates, starting at Ready Reader and progressing through to Star Reader. Each time they complete a quiz with a score of 85% or above they receive an Achievement Point.
We also have prizes every half-term for inter-tutor group competitions and for our Millionaire Readers - pupils who have read a million words or more!
Reading Leaders Programme
Year 9 and Year 10 pupils mentor Year 7 pupils on a weekly basis to help them develop their reading skills. The programme is extremely successful, giving the older pupils the opportunity to develop their coaching skills and be part of the wider Northfield community.
For our more able readers, in addition to Accelerated Reader we have the 101 Club. This is designed for students already reading at G.C.S.E. level, and gives them the opportunity to read books of a more complex nature. The books are carefully chosen by our school librarians, Mrs Green and Mrs Cady, to ensure that the content is appropriate for the age of the pupil.
Accelerated Reader Login Page
Click on the below link to access the Accelerated Reader login screen.
Accelerated Reader Book Finder
Find one of our recommeded Accelerated reader books by following the link below.