Library and Resource Centre
“The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library” – Albert Einstein
Northfield School Library and Resource Centre is welcoming and inclusive space for all pupils to use throughout the school day. A place to Read, Learn, Discover and Imagine, giving pupils access to a world of books to engage them in a love of reading.
In the Library we aim to support Northfield School in its vision to create a happy and stimulating learning environment where every pupil and member of staff feel safe, valued and motivated. The Library is at the heart of the school community where knowledge, reading and new experiences can inspire and broaden their horizons.
The Library Team is led by Mrs Cady and Ms Healey (Librarians) along with teachers who support during opening times to guide pupils. We have an enthusiastic team of Student Librarians from years 8 to 11, who volunteer on a regular basis, undertake training and take on library tasks to assist the running of the Library.
Our Library provides:
- A calm friendly environment with spacious study areas, comfortable seating and reading areas.
- 13,500+ items of stock including fiction, non-fiction, reference books and audio books.
- An extensive non-fiction stock to support wider reading.
- A large selection of new, up to date fiction titles including ‘Quick Read’ and ‘Fiction+’ sections to cater for the full range of ages and abilities within the school.
- A choice of over 5,000 books labelled for Accelerated Reader.
- Access to computers for homework and research.
- Weekly activities including book club, board game day and chess.
- Literary events are held throughout the year including author visits.
Open for pupils five days a week including before and after school, break and lunchtime. Every pupil is a member of the Library, pupils are responsible for taking care of books they borrow and retuning them on time, their reading book is part of their school equipment and should be brought to school every day. We have a 3-week loan period and books can be renewed if they require longer. After the loan time they will receive an email reminder and if the books are not returned parents will then be notified. We do not fine for late books but if a book is lost or damaged, then we will ask for a donation from parents towards the replacement cost. We also offer book reservations and requests so pupils can ask us for any book and we will do our best to get them a copy.
Book Lists for recommended reads are available to download for Mental Health and Wellbeing, LGBTQ+, Multicultural titles and Year Group lists. All the books are available for pupils to borrow from the library.
We want to inspire a lifelong love of reading and organise a range of themed events and author visits throughout the school year. Keep your eyes open for more information about future events.